The word “selfie” made its first appearance in 2002, officially making it into the dictionary by 2013, but people have been taking selfies since the beginning of personal cameras. As cameras have changed and upgraded so have the techniques and standards for taking a selfie. With the continued rise of social media, having a strong selfie game in 2021 is more important than ever. So to ensure your photos are 10/10, we have compiled a list of our best selfie taking tips!
Delicious Digital Marketing presents: The Art of Taking a Selfie
- Lighting is key
- Stay away from harsh lighting (like bright white kitchen lights or direct sunlight) and instead make sure there is just enough light.
- Time of day can help a lot - the best time of the day to take photos outside happens when the sun is lower (before sunrise or right after sunset)
- Try to avoid using the flash, as it can wash out your coloring or turn your eyes red. (Noone wants to look possessed!)
- Angles are everything
- Tilt your phone slightly up, down, or to the side (whatever angle you like best). Taking a selfie straight on almost never works out...and it has nothing to do with your beautiful face.
- Use your entire arms length! Selfies are close enough as it is, make sure to stretch out that arm to get yourself some distance from the camera.
- Camera mode, it matters
- 16:9 ratio - If you plan on sharing your perfect portrait on Instagram or Snapchat stories this is the best option to ensures your entire photo fits the ratio. It takes up the entire screen so there is no blank space or need to crop your picture.
- Portrait mode - This is a new one! We love that you can now use portrait mode in selfies. This provides the perfect focus on you.
- Wide-angle lens - sometimes a selfie has more than one person, this is when the wide-angle lense (or .5x setting) on your camera comes in handy. Using this feature guarantees that everyone in your group will fit in the frame.
Now go forth and take fantastic photos!